Santiago, Chile

Santiago, Chile

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Who needs measuring spoons?

Somehow, before today I had not managed to solidify my reputation as a great chef. The most labor-intensive foods my roommates witnessed me making were tuna sandwiches and scrambled eggs. But today was cold and rainy, and I had no plans, so I decided to go on another culinary adventure. I'd been craving hummus, and the day called for squash soup, so I decided to try to make both.

Cooking in a foreign country is complicated. The metric system messes up all your measurements; the ingredients are hard to find (if you can figure out how to say them in the local language) and expensive; and in my case, the gas oven has no temperature setting, so you have to eyeball the size of the flame ("yea, that looks about 450 degrees"). Thanks to Jumbo (Chilean Wal-Mart), I found tahini, garbanzos, nutmeg, ginger, and squash and was able to make some tasty hummus and a big pot of soup. The squash was super hard to cut, and that process alone took about an hour. But once I had it boiling with carrot, onion, apple, garlic, and spices, it was snap to blend it up and enjoy.

I was so inspired by the success of my soup that I decided to try roasting the seeds, and since I had a ton of leftover squash I made pumpkin bread. I added Old Bay to the seeds since everyone has loved it (we add to potato chips religiously). I think I should start an Old Bay importing business to cater to the heavy demand I am creating down here.

Today I spent four and a half hours in the kitchen cooking and cleaning, but it was worth every minute to eat some delicious food and share a piece of culture with my roommates. After hours of cooking, the kitchen was the only warm place in the apartment, so my roommates and I huddled together sampling all the delicious food I'd made. It was an important bonding moment for me. Although they've lived with gringas for years, they had never eaten anything I made today. I don't even mind that I bought all the ingredients and spent my whole day working, because to me that's the best part of being in another country: when you share a part of your culture with someone, and they dig it.

Pumpkin seeds and soup







Hummus





Pumpkin bread from scratch






Bonding with a roommate, Rodrigo ("abuelo")

1 comment: